9/19/2008

Time Flies by Fast, Doesn't It?

Wow. August has come and gone and we're now in the middle of September. Yikes! I really did not mean for the blog to get neglected. Every few days I found myself thinking "you really should update your blog, you have friends and family wondering what's happening with you." Then I would get sidetracked with various 'life' things. Here are some of them:

I purchased the necessary software/equipment to become self-employed. I started my search for a home-based business back in 2003. In early 2007 I came upon a suite of software and a network of business owners that specialized in research/market research/sourcing and marketing, utilizing the internet but also the basic tools used in research such as telephone, library, hoofing it to the front door of a consumer, etc. Anyway, my background includes research projects in a few different industries, expert knowledge in two industries (manufacturing and electronics/engineering), and writing. So, I decided in April 2007 that this was the route for me to become self-employed. Two speed bumps - funding and high speed internet access at home.

Rick and I set out to save as much money as possible, and to encourage our small town to buy into or allow for high speed internet access. I participated in speaking before local business councils, city councils and county councils to present the case for building towers and laying wire for access. The town installed wireless towers in February 2008 with limited access :(

June 2008 is when Verizon came to town with DSL. Yippee! I had the high speed, I had the funds. But, if I were to outright purchase the business tools I needed it would leave me and Rick vulnerable, financially. Oh the dilemma! Then a family member came forward, out of the blue, and offered assistance. Kudos and wowzers to them :) :) :)

So, I am the proud owner of Burke Research Services with a soon-to-be up and running website at www.burkeresearchservices.com. Available to small, medium and large businesses (for profit or non-profit) to provide candidate sourcing for recruiters, e-mail marketing campaigns, market research, competitive intelligence, consumer research, etc.

August was spent studying and learning and studying and learning. I have a suite of software, up-to-date technology, that I needed to become adept at using. I attended webinars, seminars and conferencing classes. I was interviewed for a radio program. I've joined local networking groups. I've been writing copy for web pages. I've been getting the word out that I am in business. Whew. I've been busy.

September 15 was my target date for the website to be up and running. I got sidetracked with beading and illness :( Then the windstorm from Hurricane Ike hit and we're just now up and running with power. Thank goodness we have cash in the bank...we need a new roof :(

Anyway, by end of month my website will be up and running.

I have had some good inquiries that should turn into paying projects, just going to take a bit of time to work the sale :)

In the meantime ---

Took a long weekend to spend with Mike and the family at Winona Lake. Tammy and I spent most of our time on the bicycles and on the jet ski :) Mike and Rick built a large shed...12' x 16' (room addition if you ask me), from scratch...with plans that Mike made. Custom trusses ala Rick :)

I will be teaching beading classes at Eye Candy Jewelry and Beads in Jeffersontown, KY. She's located on Watterson Trail at Taylorsville Rd. Classes will be basic beading/stringing while learning crimping techniques, basic beadweaving while learning netting and spiral stitches. Intermediate beadweaving will be diagonal peyote (Russian Leaf pattern) and flat Ndebele embellished with crystals and such :) First class is Saturday, Sept. 27 at 11 a.m.

That's it for now. I'll post again soon with pics and more info and such.

No comments: