10/09/2008

Whew...what a busy coupla weeks

So, the insurance company has not completed the claim process for us to repair the roof. Hurricane Ike did quite a number on it, and on over 500,000 homes in the Louisville Metro area - so I know the poor claims adjuster is on overload. I hope we have a settlement and a new roof before winter :)

I've been spending time with the Kelly family - as always, but now with a poignant note during every visit. I'm getting an idea of what it's like to lose a close family member. I admit, though, that I am glad the Kelly's are family oriented - it means they're always around, putting each other first, even as they fight :) Mary is doing well, still caught up in finalizing paperwork and such related to Terry's death. But, because she is surrounded by the kids and friends (me included) she's getting by just fine.

My website for the new business is almost ready. I've written 6 pages of content, have located the news feed I want to include, have signed up with an online payment system, and am now in search of an appropriate photo for the banner. Burke Research Services is in business, I just can't send you to the site just yet. I have had some projects, though - yippee! Small, but they paid enough to pay the bills :) I have some bids out on a few other projects and should know something in a week or so.

As for beading - I have realized that I simply do not like to do bead embroidery. Too much like sewing for me. Besides, one of the best things about off-loom weaving is that my working hand always has beads running through it - providing the same meditative qualities as prayer beads do. This doesn't happen with embroidery. I'm almost finished with a name tag for myself, then I think that will be it for quite a while.

I am teaching basic jewelry classes at Eye Candy Jewelry and Beads in J'town, KY. Can't seem to get anyone interested in weaving classes, yet. Though a few people are asking for more advanced jewelry classes - without providing me information about what they mean by advanced...hmm, go figure. Anyway, Katherine (store owner) will be having beading parties (bead a gift) in November and December, so that should be fun.

Speaking of beading, I'll be doing just that at my Toastmasters meeting. I've decided to do a quick speech on the benefits of beading and my turn is this month. Next month I'm entering the BS speech contest - for those in the know, I intend to tell the story of Rick's attempt at being a rodeo clown. I have a feeling that no one will believe its a true story!

Okay, back I go - time for work. Until next time...Bead Happy!

3 comments:

Lora said...

Can't wait to see the website up and running and check it out.
I want to hear Rick's story!!! Have you posted it on here before??

Charlene said...

Rick's story has not been published on the 'net, yet. I'll be refining it a bit and then post it here later this week :)

AJ said...

Maybe for advanced jewelry classes, they'd like to learn how to make some elaborate multi-strand strung necklaces?

By the way, I tagged you in my blog!